- Area 133 km²
- Elevation 755 m
- Population 813 (sclafanesi)
- Cap 90020
- Dialing code 0921
- Web-site https://www.comune.sclafani-bagni.pa.it/
The first certain historical reference to Sclafani is mentioned in the "Cambridge Cronichles", referring to an episode of the year 938, when Halil, who was fighting among the muslim factions for the control on Sicily, could rule the citadels of Caltavuturo, Collesano and Sclafani. However, some proofs suggests the existence of a former Byzantine period. After the Norman occupation (1060-1091) the feudal system begun in Sicily and Sclafani was in the beginning assigned to Giordano, son of the Count Ruggero, and after him to his sister Matilda and her daughter Adelasia and many others. In the medieval documents the toponym is recorded as Scafa and Scafana/Sclafana.
From the Norman period to the Aragonese one, the area of Sclafani appears dotted with hamlets, distinguished by open settlements, without walls, inhabited by a few dozens of people. In the first half of the 14th Century the fief was occupied by Matteo Sclafani, who ruled one of the most economicaly and strategically important domains of the whole Sicily. The town of Sclafani then expanded, its surrounding wall was built while the castle was remodeled. In the 14th and 15th Century the county of Sclafani fell completely apart through the sales of its farms and lands. Unlike to other localities of Madonie, the population did not seem to increase significantly, mainly because of the newer settlements appeared in the territory.
Alia, Aliminusa, Caccamo, Caltavuturo, Castronovo di Sicilia, Cerda, Montemaggiore Belsito, Polizzi Generosa, Scillato, Valledolmo, Vallelunga Pratameno (CL)