- Area 134 km²
- Elevation 917 m
- Population 3756 (polizzani)
- Cap 90028
- Dialing code 0921
- Web-site http://www.comune.polizzi.pa.it/
The site on which Polizzi Generosa stands has been used since the 6th century b.C, as proved by archeological finds. During Byzantine Era the actual town developed and took the name of Baseapolis (King´s City); then the city fell under Arab domination. During the Norman age Count Ruggero reinforced the Fortress and the Castle; his niece, countess Adelasia, lady of Polizzi, gave great impetus to the growth of the town which expanded considerably, hosting in peaceful harmony several different ethnicities (byzantine or greek, arabs, latins, jews). In 1234, Frederick the II granted the town the title of Generosa (Generous), which since then remained as part of the town name.
Polizzi, except for brief periods, has always been a state city and always defended jealously its independence although at the cost of serious sacrifices.
Renaissance was the age of glory for the town, because it became the root node of a remarkable road system for its time, being crossed by two royal roads, the "Messina Montagne" and the "Montagna-Marine".
The presence in Polizzi of several noble families and the primogeniture law, with whom younger sons were forced to take vows, did increase the number of religious order and subsequently of monastery and churches full of precious artworks
Polizzi decadence started with the XVI century plague, which halved the inhabitants. After this event, social life was characterised by strong contrasts between the ruling noble families and the members of the new middle class, the "civilians", who had recieved the right to compete for public offices.
Caltavuturo, Castellana Sicula, Isnello, Petralia Sottana, Scillato, Sclafani Bagni, Vallelunga Pratameno (CL), Villalba (CL)